Oregon residents are no strangers to unexpected power outages due to natural disasters like earthquakes and forest fires. A reliable generator is essential to ensure your home’s safety and keep your family comfortable during these emergencies.
Here, we’ll discuss various generator installation options in Oregon, focusing on the benefits of diesel, propane, and solar electric generators, and highlighting Generac Generators – Energy Solutions’ top recommendation.
Diesel, Propane & Solar Electric Generators
Diesel Generators: Diesel generators are known for their durability, efficiency, and ability to provide large amounts of power. They are particularly suitable for commercial applications or large residential properties where there’s a high demand for electricity during outages.
Propane Generators: Propane generators are an eco-friendly and cost-effective option for homeowners looking for a cleaner-burning fuel source. Propane generators emit fewer greenhouse gases and have a longer shelf life than gasoline, making them ideal for long-term storage and infrequent use.
Solar Electric Generators: Solar electric generators, or photovoltaic (PV) generators, use solar panels to capture sunlight and convert it into electricity. These systems are silent, eco-friendly, and have low operating costs, making them an attractive choice for those looking to reduce their carbon footprint and energy bills.
9 Benefits of Having a Regular Generator
Here are 9 benefits of installing a generator to protect your home or business.
- Uninterrupted power supply: A battery backup system ensures that your home or business has a continuous power supply during power outages, keeping your essential appliances and devices running without any interruption, such as oxygen tanks.
- Protection for sensitive electronics: Battery backup systems can help protect sensitive electronics like computers, servers, and other critical equipment from damage caused by sudden power loss or voltage fluctuations.
- Increased energy independence: A battery backup system can help you become less reliant on the grid for your electricity needs, giving you more control over your energy consumption and reducing your dependence on utility companies.
- Emergency preparedness: In case of natural disasters, such as earthquakes or wildfires, a battery backup system can provide you with an essential source of power, keeping your home or business operational during a crisis. (Read More: When Will the “Really Big One” Hit?“)
- Improved solar power utilization: If you have a solar power system, a battery backup can store the excess energy generated by your panels, allowing you to use that energy when the sun isn’t shining or during a power outage.
- Lower carbon footprint: By using stored renewable energy to power your home or business, you can reduce your carbon footprint and contribute to a more sustainable future.
- Increased property value: Adding a battery backup system to your home or business can increase its value, making it more attractive to potential buyers who are looking for energy-efficient properties.
- Peace of mind: Knowing that you have a reliable source of backup power can provide you with peace of mind, ensuring that your home or business can continue to function during unexpected power outages or emergencies.
Generac Generators: Our #1 Recommendation
Energy Solutions recommends Generac Generators, a leading manufacturer of power generation equipment, for their high-quality and diverse product offerings. Generac provides both diesel and solar electric generators, equipped with automatic standby switches that seamlessly transition from grid energy to battery backup during power outages. This feature ensures your home remains powered without interruption, protecting your family and property from unexpected grid failures.
Benefits of Combining Your Solar + Generac Generator
Integrating a solar panel system with a compatible Generac generator offers numerous advantages, maximizing the efficiency and reliability of your home’s power supply. Below are the key benefits of combining these two systems:
- Enhanced Energy Independence: Combining a solar panel system with a Generac generator allows you to generate and store your own electricity, reducing reliance on the grid and increasing your energy independence. This integrated system ensures that you have a consistent power supply even during grid failures or periods of low solar generation.
- Seamless Power Transition: Generac generators equipped with automatic standby switches can seamlessly transition between solar-generated power and generator-supplied power during outages, ensuring an uninterrupted electricity supply for your home.
- Greater Resiliency: With both solar panels and a Generac generator, your home gains greater resiliency against power disruptions caused by natural disasters, grid failures, or other unforeseen events. This dual system ensures that you have multiple sources of electricity to rely on during emergencies.
- Cost Savings: By generating solar power during the day and storing excess energy in batteries, you can minimize your reliance on the generator, reducing fuel consumption and operating costs. Additionally, this setup allows you to take advantage of time-of-use pricing and peak-shaving strategies, resulting in potential savings on your electricity bills.
- Reduced Carbon Footprint: Solar power is a clean, renewable energy source that reduces your home’s carbon footprint. By using solar energy as your primary electricity source and relying on the generator as a backup, you can minimize greenhouse gas emissions and contribute to a more sustainable future.
- Scalable and Customizable: Combining your solar panel system with a Generac generator allows for a scalable and customizable energy solution tailored to your specific needs. You can easily expand your solar system or upgrade your generator as your energy requirements change over time.
By combining these technologies, you can create a comprehensive and efficient energy solution for your home, ensuring a reliable power supply in the face of unexpected outages and emergencies.
Get My Free Estimate & Consultation
Investing in a generator is essential for Oregon residents to ensure their home’s safety and comfort during unexpected power outages. Diesel, propane, and solar electric generators each offer unique benefits, and Generac Generators stand out as versatile and reliable option. Energy Solutions is here to help you choose and install the perfect generator for your needs, giving you peace of mind and protection from the unforeseen.
FAQs About Generators
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about generators we get asked:
How does a standby generator differ from a portable generator?
Answer: Standby generators are permanently installed units that automatically start during a power outage and provide power to your home or business. They are connected directly to your electrical system and run on natural gas or propane. Standby generators typically have a higher wattage capacity, making them suitable for powering an entire home or critical systems in a commercial setting. In contrast, portable generators are mobile units that run on gasoline or diesel and need to be manually started and connected to individual appliances or devices using extension cords.
How do I determine the right size generator for my needs?
Answer: To determine the right size generator, first calculate the total wattage of the appliances and devices you want to power. Make a list of their starting and running wattages, which can be found on their labels or in their user manuals. Add up the starting wattages of all devices and the running wattages separately. The higher of the two totals is the minimum wattage your generator should provide. It’s advisable to choose a generator with a slightly higher wattage than your calculated needs for added flexibility and safety.
Can I use a generator to power my entire home?
Answer: Yes, you can use a generator to power your entire home, but the generator must have enough capacity to handle the total wattage of all appliances and devices you want to power simultaneously. Standby generators are the best option for powering an entire home, as they are permanently installed, automatically start during power outages, and can provide a higher wattage than portable or inverter generators. Consult with a professional electrician to determine the right size generator for your needs and ensure proper installation.
How often should I perform maintenance on my generator?
Answer: Regular maintenance is crucial for ensuring the reliability and longevity of your generator. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for maintenance intervals, which can typically be found in the user manual. Common maintenance tasks include changing the oil, inspecting and replacing air and fuel filters, checking and tightening connections, and testing the battery. Performing a test run every 3-4 months will help ensure your generator is ready for use in case of a power outage.