Unlock the Power of the Sun
Welcome to the 2023 updated guide by your trusted Milwaukie Solar Installer; Energy Solutions of Oregon! This will be your resource for comprehensive insights into solar panel installation in Milwaukie, Oregon. This guide aims to equip homeowners with essential information on the environmental and financial advantages of solar energy.
You’ll learn about various types of installations, local incentives, and the substantial benefits that accompany a transition to this renewable energy source. Designed to offer expert advice tailored to Milwaukie residents, this guide seeks to empower you to make informed decisions for a sustainable and economically beneficial future.
For homeowners, residential solar panels unlock substantial savings on electricity bills while increasing property value. Businesses can slash operating costs and enhance branding by embracing renewable power (see commercial solar for more info)
How Do Solar Panels Work?
The process of how solar panels work might seem complex, but it can be broken down into simpler steps:
Catching Sunlight: Solar panels are designed to catch sunlight. This sunlight is made up of tiny energy particles called photons.
Creating Energy: The panels are built with special materials, like silicon, which reacts when these photons hit them. This reaction creates an electric field.
Moving Electrons: The energy from the photons pushes electrons (tiny particles inside atoms) out of their usual position.
Making Electricity: These moving electrons create a flow of electricity. This is called direct current (DC) electricity.
Changing the Current: DC electricity is not suitable for home use, so a device called an inverter changes it into alternating current (AC) electricity, which can be used in your home.
Using or Storing Extra Energy: If your solar panels make more electricity than you need, the extra energy can be stored in batteries for later use or sent back to the electric grid.
So, solar panels take sunlight, a resource we have plenty of, and turn it into electricity for our homes in a clean and renewable way.
Why Go Solar in Milwaukie?
Milwaukie’s climate is ideal for leveraging solar energy, with abundant sunshine throughout the year and rainy seasons providing natural cleaning for your panels. Moreover, the state has favorable solar incentives and rebates for solar installation.
Switching to solar in Milwaukie means:
- Making the most of state incentives and policies
- Utilizing abundant sunshine for power
- Contributing to a sustainable future
- Saving money by reducing or eliminating your electricity bills
- Increasing the value of the property
The moderate climate provides ample sunlight to generate solar power year-round. Even during rainy seasons, solar panels are capable of producing electricity. Oregon offers strong financial incentives for going solar, including tax credits, rebates, and net metering policies. These make solar installation more affordable for Milwaukie homeowners.
Switching to solar power allows residents to reduce their carbon footprint. Solar energy production emits no greenhouse gases. Relying more on this clean, renewable source and less on fossil fuels promotes sustainability.
Financial Benefits of Residential Solar
Residential solar panels in Milwaukie offer significant financial incentives beyond just lowering energy bills each month. Installing solar can also increase the value of your home.
Lower Energy Bills
One of the biggest financial incentives for going solar is lower monthly electricity bills. Solar panels will produce electricity that directly offsets the energy you need to pull from the grid. Any excess electricity produced can even be sold back to the utility company.
The more sunlight that hits your solar panels, the less electricity you’ll need to buy. Even on cloudy days, solar panels can produce 10-25% of their rated capacity. Over the lifetime of a solar system, homeowners can save thousands on energy costs.
Increased Home Value
Multiple studies have shown that installing solar panels can increase the value of your home. One report by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory found that homes with solar systems sold for about 4.1% more compared to similar non-solar homes.
This premium valuation occurs because home buyers know they’ll benefit from lower electricity bills and because solar panels are seen as an attractive feature and investment. EnergySage estimates that solar panels can increase a home’s value by about $15,000 for an average-sized solar system.
Going solar means you’ll save money each month on bills and earn more when it comes time to sell. It’s a financially savvy decision for Milwaukie homeowners.
Environmental Benefits of Solar Power
Switching to residential solar panels reduces carbon footprint, contributing to a more sustainable future. Solar energy doesn’t emit harmful greenhouse gases and assists in combating climate change.
Fossil fuels like coal and natural gas emit high levels of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases when burned to generate electricity. Solar panels produce clean, renewable energy without releasing any emissions. Adding solar to the grid displaces fossil fuel electricity generation, reducing overall emissions. The EPA estimates that one 5 kW solar array can avoid over 4 tons of carbon emissions per year.
Fossil fuel and nuclear electricity generation consume large volumes of water for cooling and steam generation. Solar PV systems require little to no water to produce electricity. In arid states like Arizona, this allows solar to preserve limited water resources. The SunShot initiative calculated that generating electricity from PV saves 80-90% of the water compared to coal and natural gas.
Decreased Dependence on Fossil Fuels
Reliance on finite resources like oil, coal and natural gas locks us into a carbon-intensive energy system. Solar energy utilization reduces dependence on these climate-harming fossil fuels. The Department of Energy reported that renewable energy, including solar, prevented the emission of over 800 million metric tons of CO2 in 2019 alone.
The Milwaukie Solar Installer Process
The home solar installation process is efficient and hassle-free:
- Property Assessment: Experts evaluate the property’s suitability for solar panels, taking into account structure, sun exposure, and energy usage patterns.
- System Design: A tailor-made solar panel system is designed for efficiency and aesthetics.
- Securing Permits: The necessary permits, including building and electrical permits, are secured, simplifying complex local regulations.
- Installation: Technicians install the panels and conduct thorough system tests.
Throughout this entire process, homeowners can expect continuous support and communication from us, ensuring the transition to solar energy is seamless and straightforward.
Residential Solar Installation Types
Solar installations in Milwaukie can be customized to suit different residential properties, from single-family homes to multi-story buildings. Types of installations include ground mount, rooftop, and solar carports.
Ground Mount Installations
Ground mount installations allow flexible positioning of solar panels, optimizing energy production. They are a great choice for properties with ample unused land.
Key advantages include:
- Optimal positioning for maximum sun exposure
- Scalability to meet high energy demands
- Ease of access for maintenance
Solar carports are a unique and practical type of residential installation. Besides generating power, they also create shaded parking spaces, efficiently utilizing outdoor parking areas.
The benefits of solar carports are:
- Dual functionality: energy production and vehicle shading
- Space-efficient, utilizing existing parking spaces
- Visible commitment to renewable energy
Rooftop Solar Installations
Rooftop installations are a popular choice for homeowners in urban settings or those with limited ground space. These systems utilize the otherwise unused rooftop space to generate power.
Some advantages include:
- Efficient use of space, not requiring additional land
- Potential to meet all or most of the home’s energy needs
- Reduced energy loss and costs due to closer proximity to the point of use
Milwaukie Residential Solar Incentives for 2023
Here are some of the potential solar incentives available in Milwaukie:
Key Oregon solar incentives
- Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC): This federal tax credit allows you to deduct 30% of the cost of installing a solar energy system from your federal taxes. For the average residential solar installation, this could mean over $7,000 in savings. The ITC is currently set at 30% through 2019, then will begin stepping down year by year.
- Oregon Solar + Storage Rebate Program: This state rebate offers up to $5,000 back for installing new solar electric systems. Homeowners who also add energy storage like batteries can get up to an additional $2,500. The exact rebate amounts vary based on factors like income level.
- Solar Within Reach Program: This cash incentive program provides $1.00 per watt installed, up to $5,400, for qualifying low-income Portland General Electric customers. Pacific Power customers can receive $0.90 per watt installed.
- Renewable Energy Systems Exemption: This Oregon property tax exemption allows homeowners to avoid higher property taxes from increasing home values after installing a solar energy system. The exemption lasts for 20 years and can save thousands of dollars.
- Net Metering: Utility net metering programs let you get credit for excess solar electricity sent back to the grid. This credit offsets the electricity you use at other times, helping reduce your utility bills.
These incentives are subject to change. Remember to check with a tax professional or financial advisor for the most accurate and current information about your specific circumstances.
Consult with a solar installer to get more specifics on incentives you may qualify for. The savings from federal tax credits, state/local rebates, and net metering can make going solar in Milwaukie very affordable.
Is Solar Worth It in Milwaukie, Oregon?
Undoubtedly, investing in solar energy in Milwaukie is a worthwhile decision. The city’s climate, combined with Oregon’s progressive renewable energy policies, makes it a prime location for solar installations. Despite Oregon’s reputation for rainy weather, Milwaukie receives a substantial amount of sunlight year-round, sufficient for effective solar power generation.
Milwaukie also offers generous incentives to solar adopters, including tax credits, rebates, and net metering policies. These benefits can significantly offset the initial cost of solar installation, making it a financially smart move. The savings on utility bills over the lifespan of the system can be considerable, often covering the initial investment and providing a return.
Furthermore, solar panels increase property value and contribute to a sustainable future by reducing dependence on fossil fuels. So, not only does solar make sense economically, but it’s also a step towards environmental stewardship and higher property resell.
In short, the combination of climate suitability, strong government incentives, and long-term financial and environmental benefits make solar power a worthy investment for Milwaukie homeowners.
Ready to Go Solar in Milwaukie?
Ready to start generating your own clean energy through solar power? Our team is here to help make the process easy for Milwaukie homeowners.
Schedule a free, no-obligation solar consultation with one of our experts. We’ll assess your property, energy usage, and needs to determine the ideal solar system for your home. This allows us to provide an accurate estimate of costs and savings.
Submit a Form For Us to Contact You
Can’t call right now? Submit your contact information through our solar request form and our team will reach out to schedule a consultation at your convenience. Let us know the best way and time to contact you.
Give Us a Call
Speaking directly with our solar consultants is the best way to get answers to any questions you may have. Call 503-680-3718 whenever it suits you and we’ll be happy to discuss your residential solar options.
We look forward to helping you determine if solar is right for your Milwaukie home!